Monday, May 8, 2017

World Class or Local Class

Again, apologies for another opinion piece.  Again this one has bugged me for a long time.

Another Ramble

I have been in the infosec field a fairly long time.  In addition, I have put myself out there through postings, email, social media, etc.  So I think it is safe to say I have a fairly large target on me in terms of recruiters and people looking for 'skilled' talent.

One of the trends I have noticed for the past 4 or 5 years, have been recruiters calling me up, stating they are looking for 'world class' talent.  Senior skills and people which are hard to find.  Of course they are hard to find.  There are not as many rockstars in any field, as there are simple rocks.  Yet, companies continue to insist they want this talent LOCAL to them.

This makes no sense to me.  If you are looking for diamonds, you do not strip mine a whole area determined to find them....  You go where THEY are!  You spend the time and effort to go to where they exist, and work your magic.

Skilled talent, especially in senior levels are not easy to find, and sometimes impossible to find in your area.  Yet when you find someone, you tell them they have to move.  This is wrong in so many levels.  If you want 'world class' talent, they need to be able to work from anywhere in the 'world'.  Please do not bother me with claims stating how cool your company is, or how you only hire the best, when you refuse to allow them to work from wherever they are.  This is key.

If you do not have a remote work ability, don't waste my time.  Professionals are professionals no matter where they are.  They work hard and have no need for someone to keep looking over their shoulder to ensure they are doing what they are paid for.  Professionals are passionate.  They will be no matter where they are in relation to their boss, director, peers, customers etc.

Final Point

If you are not allowing your professionals to work from anywhere in the world, you are NOT looking for world class talent.  Please stop bothering me and others with your HR shit speaking!  I am good at what I do, VERY good.  If you want me, take me.  If not, GTFO, I'm busy....

No comments:

Post a Comment